Tuesday, March 24, 2009

an ode to dinner

im taking an english class right now and it is everything but what i expected. during my two tedious years at college of the canyons i have yet to come across a teacher who truly inspires me. until this semester. i signed up for english 102 thinking it was going to be the same boring lecture about essays accompanied by repetitious quizzes. never have i been more wrong. Dr. Arbor is truly one of the most inspiring teachers i have experienced in my time at the quaint COC. i couldn't be more satisfied with her class. Not only has this class reignited the flame that is my love for literature and poetry, but it has also opened my eyes to a whole new way of thinking, writing and creating. i have learned to see poetry and literature as more than just a compilation of words and it has been an amazing eye opener. with all that said, this morning while reading an assignment for this class the inspiration and ideas hit me like a train going full speed. i wrote this poem in less than 5 minutes and it is truly one of my favorites that i have ever written.


i hope you enjoy :]

a plate of spaghetti
so simple it seems
until you read the ingredients
and all that it needs
sweet tomatoes, brown sugar, and a soft butter stick
not forgetting the onions, basil, and the raucous garlic
while boiling be careful, for this part is the trick
without silky oil, the noodles will stick
a watched pot never boils
and readiness takes time
but with patience and adjustments
dinner will be ready by nine
before adding the ingredients, strain the murky decay
for no noodle is perfect, but it will taste better this way.
once the noodles are ready
and the sauce is all poured
this intricate meal, is ready and yours.

-Michele Janes

1 comment:

  1. I'm so thrilled you have an inspiring teacher! I'm insanely jealous, but that was an amazing poem m! Keep it up for sure, I'd love to read more!

    ReplyDelete